Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Budget Cuts

I 'felt' the effects of the budget cuts for the first real time last week. My all-time favorite history professor was told half way through the semester that he should not return in the fall. I was aware that he only taught a couple of classes a semester and didn't have tenure yet (is that what an adjunct is?), but it was still a wake-up call for me. He just got his Ph.D., goes to a lot of conferences, does really interesting work in his field, and has a book set to be published this summer. It seems like he did everything right and it still wasn't enough. That scares me, and even though I read about this kind of thing happening all the time online, it really hit home seeing it happen at my school.

I was told by multiple people that budget cuts were the sole reason, and if they could afford to, they would keep him. I can understand that, but I don't understand why they didn't give him an earlier notice. At least then he might have stood a chance to find another job for the fall. Do any academics out there know of a reason (if any)?

But, of course, the day after I found out this news, I went to the library and discovered brand new smart-boards in all the group study rooms. Budget cuts?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
The Making of a Scholar by AboutAHIstorian is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.